Who are we? For what do we stand?
We are simply Christians. We are members of the “Body of Christ” (Eph. 1:22-23; 4:4-6), being “added to the church” upon being saved (Acts 2:47). Many who have never visited the church of Christ do not know what we believe and hold as truth, as it relates to the word of God. Please take a few moments to consider the following overview.
AUTHORITY: We must establish scriptural authority for anything we do in our deeds and in our worship service (Col. 3:17). We believe Christians must speak where the Bible speaks and be silent where the Bible is silent. “If any man speak, let him speak as though it were the oracles of God” (1 Pet. 4:11).
SALVATION: We believe that once a person has heard the truths in God’s word and understands what God has commanded all men to do, it is his/her responsibility to obey.
- Hear Gospel – Rom. 10:17; Acts 8:30-31
- Believe – Heb. 11:6; Mk. 16:16
- Repent of & Turn from Sins – Acts 2:38; 17:30; Lk. 13:3
- Confess our Faith – Rom. 10:10; Mt. 10:32
- Baptism – Acts 2:38; 10:48; 22:16; 1 Pet. 3:21
- Live Faithfully – Rev. 2:10
WORSHIP: We meet on the first day of every week (Acts 20:7). We encourage attendance (Heb. 10:25) and stress the need for our members and all people to study the scriptures and rely on God’s word to be sure the things you are being taught are true. “Study to show thyself approved. A workman that need not to be ashamed, rightly dividing the word of truth” (2 Tim. 2:15).
- We have congregational singing. There is no choir, soloists, or specialists for entertainment. We do not include instrumental music in our worship, as there is no authority in the New Testament for that. See Eph. 5:19; Col. 3:16.
- We offer several prayers to God as part of our service. See Eph. 6:18; Acts 6:4; 1 Ths. 5:17; Jm. 5:16.
- We hear a lesson from God’s word for our evangelism, edification, and encouragement. See Acts 2:14; 20:7; 2 Tim. 4:2.
- We remember our Lord’s death and resurrection by partaking of the communion. See Acts. 20:7; 1 Cor. 11:23-29.
- We provide each member an opportunity to give according to his/her means. See 1 Cor. 16:1-2.